B Visas Are For Business, But Also For Pleasure

The B-1 visa is designated for business visitors to the U.S. who do not intend to be employed while here. There is also a B-2 visa for tourists, traveling to the U.S. for pleasure.

B-1 Business Visas

So long as the purpose of the business visit is not employment, there are numerous ways to obtain a B-1 visa. Nonemployment activities include:

  • Participating in conventions, conferences and other business events
  • Engaging in commercial transactions, so long as they do not involve employment
  • Consulting with business associates
  • Purchasing goods, components or raw materials for use outside the U.S.
  • Appearing in court or negotiating litigation

B-1 visas are intended for the long term. Visas are issued for specific, short periods. Because of this, many B-1 holders elect to change status. Our Dallas, Texas, lawyers assist B-1 visitors in switching to the B-2, the H-1B, or the J visa (for research scholars, college professors and cultural exchange participants).

But B-1 visa holders should take care switching to another nonimmigrant status. The USCIS takes a dim view of applicants switching status to sidestep the more complicated documentation necessary for the other statuses.

B-2 Tourist Visas

The B-2 is a nonbusiness visa offered to visitors who come to the U.S. to travel and engage in recreational activities such as:

  • Touring
  • Amusement
  • Visiting friends and relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Social events

Business persons and travelers know that the lawyers at Harrison-Donaldson make every effort to resolve difficult immigration problems, always mindful of avoiding unnecessary expense. Call our attorneys at 972-746-2314, or describe your upcoming business needs in an email.

Super Lawyers Rising Stars AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association Showcases News Week Leaders In Immigration Law Avvo Rating 7.7